Tuesday, July 01, 2008

The Glorious Garlicscape

I've been wanting to purchase a CSA farm share ever since I first heard about them, but I kept thinking of it too late in the year. Most places want you to sign up in March, and around here we're not convinced that there will actually be a growing season until May rolls around.
This year I finally remembered to do it early enough, and I'm so glad I did. It's great to have a gigantic bundle of organic vegetables handed to you every week, and there have already been some I hadn't tried before. "Our" farm, Hatchet Cove Farm, supplies us with tips and recipes for braving this new world.
The pleasant surprise this week was a beautiful bundle of garlic scapes. Scapes are the leafless flower stalks that grow above the ground, and they get cut off to allow more plant-growing energy (green chi!) to go into the bulbs. More importantly, they're deeeeelicious when sauteed with butter and served with pasta. mmmm....I'm getting dreamy just thinking about it....
Sadly, I don't think the garlic that I'm still exhaling is quite as enjoyable to those around me who didn't get to enjoy the meal. Perhaps I should invite everyone over for next year's garlic scape banquet so we'll all smell equally well nourished.




2 Comments:

Blogger Gina said...

Thank you! I'd completely forgotten about some garlicscapes I have from our farmer's market. Your suggestion of sauteeing in butter and serving over pasta will be dinner tonight!

12:55 PM, July 02, 2008  
Blogger Petula Darling said...

Oh good - I hope you like them as much as we did!
I like to mangle their name to "garlicscape" because it makes me think that there's a world made entirely of garlic, and I find this pleasing. I imagine a moon made of bleu cheese revolves around it in the Hors D'oeuvre galaxy.

7:12 PM, July 02, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home





swing by the archives to see more petulishness
(the link is in the sidebar on the right)