Thursday, March 20, 2008

Take Back the Nest!

Now, I'm not much of an activist, but every once in a while I see something so horrific that I need to take a stand.

We've stood by long enough, doing nothing while activities that border on genocide go on under our noses! This egregious violation of all that is good and right has been going on for hundreds of years, and it's time we put an end to it.
Who is it that is engaging in this slaughter of thousands?
I'll tell you: it's the cuckoo bird."But Petula," you're saying, "Cuckoos are just sweet little birds."
Sweet little birds? Sweet little birds? Does the bird sitting on this nest look sweet to you?:

Many species of cuckoos are brood parasites - they lay their eggs in the nests of other birds, the baby cuckoos hatch before the rightful inhabitants, throw their eggs out of the nest, and then run the foster mother ragged making demands for food. For more evidence about this heinous crime, please check out this shocking video. (all kidding aside, you really should take a look. The bird's behavior is so over the top that it's hilarious. It's like a Saturday Night Live skit about the worst houseguest ever)

So what can we do to let them know that this activity has to stop? Obviously we need to boycott cuckoo products.
I haven't purchased a single box of Cocoa Puffs since I first learned of the cuckoo's cruelty, and I have to say that I feel really good about it. But what about cuckoo clocks? This one is harder, since I've wanted one ever since I was a kid.
Well, I've come up with a solution that I feel rights nature's wrongs: I joined forces with the once-persecuted reed-warbler, and together we've managed to bring some justice to this situation by throwing a particularly guilty looking cuckoo out of her own home. Restitution has been made, and the reed warbler now rules the roost! It sounds cruel, but something had to be done.

The obvious problem with this is that the cuckoo actually looked better on the clock.
Oh well, sometimes the fight for justice gets ugly.



5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are so funny! I love this post!

9:23 PM, March 21, 2008  
Blogger Magnolia Queen said...

I can't believe this has been happening all along and nobody said anything! We should start a foundation.

8:42 AM, March 22, 2008  
Blogger Petula Darling said...

That's an excellent idea!
We'll need some funding though...perhaps I should set up a bank account for all the donations that will likely come pouring in from concerned indivuduals. I'll just put it in my own name for now to make the paperwork easier.

1:47 PM, March 22, 2008  
Blogger mary jane said...

Dreadful birds, where are all the cats?

5:07 PM, April 06, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Parasites! Terrible birds. I've been boycotting them for years. ;)

Cowbirds too!

6:51 PM, April 14, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home





swing by the archives to see more petulishness
(the link is in the sidebar on the right)