Friday, January 18, 2008

On Wombats

I ran across a reference to wombats the other day, and it occurred to me that I had no idea what one looked like. In fact, I may have thought that "wombat" was just a word used in children's books to reference any of a variety of goofy make-believe creatures.

After a bit of research, I learned that, while real, they do look like something belonging in a storybook. I've since taken to daydreaming about what it would be like to live in a place where you could go outside and see one moseying through your yard. Do you think Australians see pictures of raccoons and think about how cool it would be to see one in their yards? Or living in their attics, as we were once fortunate enough to experience?

If you check out the photo below, you're sure to notice one of the wombat's more prominent features - something I've taken to calling the "wombutt".
This term has already found it's way into Darling family vernacular, in sentences like, "Honey, do these jeans give me wombutt?"
Gentlemen, make no mistake, the only answer you should ever give to this question is, "No."









swing by the archives to see more petulishness
(the link is in the sidebar on the right)