Sunday, February 10, 2008

Cassoulet Soiree

I didn't think it was possible, but Mary Jane's 4th annual Cassoulet Cook-off was even better than last year's.
There were 12 (12!) huge cassoulets, 7 gazillion jovial guests, 2 wonderful hosts (the petticoat-bedecked Mary Jane and her prizewinning cook of a husband Erik), countless bottles of wine, and one giant bonfire all at their French-farmhouse-like home.
First prize was taken once again by the Kilted Cook (I wanted to alliterate, but "Kilted Kook" had an entirely different meaning than what I was going for), who narrowly squeezed by silver medalist Erik.

I was fortunate to have the opportunity to interview the world champion cassoulet chef and was able to glean a few of his secrets:
Not only does he make his own sausage from pork that he butchered himself, but he also happens to have a coveted duck fat collection that he saves for just this sort of occasion. But the real trick? He says that the dish needs to be prepared with free range ducks that have been lovingly tended and raised almost as family members. The Kilted Cook even goes so far as to incubate the eggs of the ducks himself before they're hatched. When unable to sit on the nest, he has been known to tuck an egg under each arm so he can do things like attend the Christmas pageants of his human children.*
(Erik: you might want to take note of this to get the winning edge for next year)

Here are Mary Jane and I, both photographed with our eyes open and only one chin each!
I had been hoping to post some delectable pictures of cassoulet, but we were so busy eating it that it wasn't so delectable looking by the time Davis got the camera out.
And, yes, I'm drinking Labatt's. I'd like to say that it's a reflection on my own lowbrow tastes and not those of my hosts. I thought it would be a nice yin to the cassoulet's yang.

*believe it or not, I only made up that last part.



6 Comments:

Blogger Gina said...

Are beer and cassoulet a common pairing? Did you cut your hair or is it just swept back? I know you are always flirting with the Amelie look.

9:35 PM, February 10, 2008  
Blogger Petula Darling said...

Wine is probably the more acceptable choice, but I hold my wine even more poorly than I hold my beer (actually, it looks like I have a pretty tight hold on it in the picture, but you know what I mean).
The hair is fairly short, but it's also clipped back to keep it from doing the soccer-mom thing it likes to do.

9:47 PM, February 10, 2008  
Blogger Julia Pequlia said...

It could have been worse. You could have been drinkin' a Bud poundah.

9:50 PM, February 10, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! I have those same shoes AND navy cords! We should have a 'dress the same day' at Unique One soon! 'Dress the same day' is sadly something I never grew out of and its funny how I suggest to do such a thing at a place called UNIQUE ONE, not very unique to dress in the same outfit as another huh? Anyway, now I'm just rambling.

7:55 PM, February 11, 2008  
Blogger Unknown said...

Lovely post. thoroughly enjoyed our conversations however I may never share my secrets again.....although I will blatantly Steal the moniker "Kilted Cook" and I thank you

8:11 PM, February 11, 2008  
Blogger Dottie said...

Beer and cassoulet sounds great together if you ask me.

BTW, I really enjoyed your post below about what kind of blog you want to have. I feel I stuggle with that every time I blog. Glad to know I'm not alone.

And SPATS ROCK!

leslie@goodcrafternoon.com

1:27 PM, February 13, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home





swing by the archives to see more petulishness
(the link is in the sidebar on the right)