Saturday, June 03, 2006

Petticoat Junction

My latest fashion fixation is the petticoat. Not in a fetishwear or gothic-Lolita kind of way, but in an I-think-I-finally-figured-out-what-my-50's-dresses-need way. All these years I just thought I wasn't built to carry off the New Look, being more tongue-depressor shaped than wasp-waisted, when turns out I may have just needed some pouf.
I snuck in an order online for one just before the start-date of Wardrobe Refashion (I didn't have much desire to make my own), and it arrived yesterday. It was a little scrunched from shipping, and my first reaction was to feel like I was wearing a lampshade when I tried it on, but I think I've grown to love it. I spent at least half an hour last night flouncing around in various dresses (that all need work, of course) pretending I was Audrey Hepburn in Sabrina.
Now I just need to run across a tutorial on Petticoats 101 which discusses their care and, more importantly, the proper length of a petticoat in relation to that of the skirt it's under.

I would also like to share the picture of a petticoat that I did NOT buy:


...urrhh....me find brains...



3 Comments:

Blogger mary jane said...

I once had a dynamite red net petticoat. I would wear it under a black groisgrain Dior New Look style dress which had two petticoats built in, a boned one and a net one. 3 petticoats in place and I was ready to bowl, when I dipped to release the ball, the skirt tipped like a teacup. Strike!

9:07 AM, June 04, 2006  
Blogger Gina said...

I am laughing out loud at the notion of you dancing around the house for hours in a petticoat. What an exhilerating time it must have been!

12:52 PM, June 04, 2006  
Blogger Petula Darling said...

I must say I was having a rather fabulous time trying on practically every dress I own with the thing. I'm guessing the joy started to wear a bit thin for my husband around the 19th time I popped in and said, "How about this one? Doesn't the petticoat turn THIS ONE into the prettiest party dress in the whole wide world?"
sigh..."Yes, dear."

10:53 PM, June 04, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home





swing by the archives to see more petulishness
(the link is in the sidebar on the right)