Monday, June 05, 2006

International Accordion Awareness Month



It's true. I heard about it on NPR today- June is international accordion awareness month.
While I'm sure many people feel it's unfortunate that a shorter month wasn't chosen, we here at chez Petula feel that any month that celebrates the accordion is an auspicious month indeed. Davis Darling has recently taken up playing this tragically misunderstood instrument, so when I'm not listening to a beginner's wheezing oompapas earliest melodies, I'm hearing the strains of his new accordion album collection.
Fortunately, listening to someone learn to play the accordion isn't as bad as one might think. The sound doesn't carry that far, and there's none of the screeching that accompanies early attempts at some other instruments.

This is supposed to be a crafty blog, yet I don't have much of a crafty nature to post about right now. I'm currently refurbishing a cute '50s dress, but, since I don't think images of an armpit being taken in are likely to interest anyone, I'll hold off on the photos until it's finished. I think I'll also pass on keeping the world abreast of this week's home improvement tasks ("Here's a 'before' photo of some chipped paint." "Ooooh, look at how I've touched it up and now it's all one color and only moderately lumpy.").
I am going to be doing a little blog makeover soon (what, it's almost a month old- it's due for a little nip/tuck!), which is kind of a virtual craft. Hopefully things won't look too wonky while it's under the knife.



1 Comments:

Blogger Gina said...

As the offspring of two acordian-friendly cultures (Italian and Polish), I can fully appreciate this bizarre instrument! I missed that snippet on NPR, but I'm off to find a live feed of some polka music!

9:50 AM, June 06, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home





swing by the archives to see more petulishness
(the link is in the sidebar on the right)