Wednesday, June 21, 2006

My Kitsch-en















Our kitchen had 1950s metal cabinets in it when we moved in, so I decided to embrace the retro and painted them pink. When the kitchen was first painted it made me happy every time I went in there- it was so deliciously Candyland*. However, after a couple years it fell on hard times and I started to refer to it as Barbie's Crack House.
After whining last month about the state of disrepair my house was in, I went on a bit of a crusade to spruce up the kitchen (well, the plan was actually to spruce up practically every room in the house, but this is as far as I've gotten). I didn't change the colors much, but most everything got a new coat to freshen it up, along with a whole lot of caulk to fill in various gaps that occurred after our attached barn was jacked up. Now it's finally semi-photogenic.
At some point in the (hopefully) not too distant future, we'll be doing a total kitchen renovation - knocking down a wall, removing the vinyl flooring, getting the La Cornue stove I've been wanting, etc... (well, that last one's probably not going to be happening, but the rest is pretty likely).
Making do for now isn't so bad though now that it's repainted.

*







edit: I first published this post from my laptop, which appears to be in desperate need of some monitor calibration. The images looked perfectly fine to me when I did them, but later on I saw what they looked like on other monitors - dark and beige. I couldn't have pictures of my cabinets looking all band-aid colored, so I went back and did some adjusting. Unfortunately, I may have gotten a wee bit carried away, as it now looks like the room is basking in the bright lights of an alien ship that seems to have landed in the center of everything.
I'm ok with that though. I watched all three seasons of Roswell, so one thing I know is that aliens are hot.



1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kitch'n looks great. I have only one concern. What happened to the tasteful string of pink flamingo lights? No 50's kitchen should be without flamingo art. See - now I don't even need to travel to give guilt.
Dianne | 06.21.06 - 7:55 am | #

Ex-squeeze-it
mary jane | 06.21.06 - 2:14 pm | #

I am soooo envious of this lovely kitchen. If this is all the house improvements that ever get done -- who cares? Freakin' fabulous!
Gina | Homepage | 06.21.06 - 5:47 pm | #

I found your marvy blog while reading MHICTY's blogparty comments.Love the kitchen love the blog.Iwish every one would show their kitchen,if iwas more comp literate Iwould certainly share mine.I have found kindred spirits.
jungle dream pagoda | 06.28.06 - 2:18 pm | #

My god, how I love your kitchen. I'd marry it if I weren't already engaged, and of the non-marrying-of-appliances variety.

Damn. Pink and green. Just LUV.
Tanya | Homepage | 07.20.06 - 12:03 am | #

5:15 PM, July 26, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home





swing by the archives to see more petulishness
(the link is in the sidebar on the right)