Tuesday, March 06, 2007

To Every Craft There Is A Season

For me, winter is a time for the mindless crafts that allow me to sit on the couch for hours on end while watching my favorite shows. It's the time for knitting projects, preferably of the sort that don't require looking at the instructions more than twice. Looking at instructions would interfere with my television viewing, and that would be completely unacceptable.
Summer is the time for more active crafts - the ones that require actual thought and movement. I have little patience for couch-dwelling in the summer, so that's when I like to make random constructions, or sew, or just putter about in my studio.
The start of spring* is a strange no-man's-land. Sitting on the couch becomes a bit tedious, and finishing those mindless projects that were once so fulfilling now seems like an excrutiatingly boring chore. Spring energy has a spastic and unfocused quality that lends itself to spinning in circles and accomplishing little. So that's what I've been doing.

I hate have a pictureless post, so here's a photo that I picked up several years ago at a junk shop in Colorado. I love these gals.




*Despite the 8 degrees that the thermometer is showing right now (egad!), the extended hours of daylight are giving things a springlike feel. True spring in Maine occurs for two weeks in early June.



1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great photo! The wind is fierce here, and yet, the students are undaunted in their quest for Spring and Spring Break. Today, I saw nude
legs and white peep toe pumps! For the love of God!
Gina | Homepage | 03.06.07 - 4:50 pm | #

Those gals are great! We had -10 at our house. How can that be possible?
mary jane | Homepage | 03.07.07 - 9:21 pm | #

Now that is 2 stylish femme-fatales!!!!
I am feeling a giddyness myself from the effects of Spring,or perhaps it is merely lack of sleep!
jungle dream pagoda | Homepage | 03.08.07 - 5:33 pm | #

6:15 PM, August 22, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home





swing by the archives to see more petulishness
(the link is in the sidebar on the right)