Wednesday, October 04, 2006

McCall 1929

These pictures are from the 1929 McCall magazine (back in the days before they added the possessive "s" to the end) that was a part of the recent Free Store bounty. I LOVE the nub-stitch hat that's on the left, and am considering pulling out my crochet hooks to make it.
This mag had some nice pictures, but was a little frustrating in the craft department. Pretty much everything other than the knit and crochet stuff required that you send away for a pattern. I definitely would not have bought it at the newsstand back in the day. It's sort of like Vogue Patterns sewing magazine - why would I pay money for a magazine that is really just an ad for patterns that you need to buy seperately? I'm much more of a fan of magazines like Burda that actually give you the patterns (granted the patterns are presented in a rather brain-scrambling manner, but at least they give them to you).
Fortunately, modern technology has given us the photocopier, so things like the embroidery patterns and placecards can now be reproduced and no longer require a self-addressed stamped envelope. I really like these placecards. They are just so quintessential 1920s (and I do so love the 20s esthetic), that I want to throw a party in their honor just so I can use them.
I'm also presenting you with an ad that exposes the tragedy of halitosis. This poor woman used to be the toast-of-the-town, but now the only one who will come near her is a caged bird who has no other choice. Use Listerine, and don't let this happen to you!




1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will be at the postbox daily awaiting my dinner invitation -- cloche not optional.
Gina | Homepage | 10.04.06 - 3:20 pm | #

I'll make sure to use my Listerine!
Petula Darling | Homepage | 10.04.06 - 3:28 pm | #

Who knew Kirsten Dunst had halitosis!
jungle dream pagoda | Homepage | 10.04.06 - 6:00 pm | #

5:47 PM, July 26, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home





swing by the archives to see more petulishness
(the link is in the sidebar on the right)