Friday, July 13, 2007

The Details

I thought I'd post some of the skirt details for those of you who like to sew.
I drew up the pattern using directions from Sew What! Skirts. I've read really good reviews on the book and I plan to make a couple more skirts from it, but I found that the circle-skirt instructions left a lot to be desired. For one thing, the skirt was HUGE when cut out as instructed. At first I thought I had just been sloppy, but when I pulled out my trusty calculator I found that their formula would make it come out over 4" larger than it should be (I finally got to use the pi key for something other than figuring the square footage of pizza!). I think they forgot to put the waist's seam allowance into the equation, which wouldn't be a big deal with an a-line skirt but it adds up to a lot with a circle. It took a lot of tweaking, but I was finally able to get it to fit.

The design for the applique came from a picture I found online (unfortunately I can't remember the website, so I can't give the artist the credit I should). I then traced the image onto Pellon Wonder Under (an iron-on adhesive), ironed it onto some lightweight iridescent fabric, cut out the design, and then ironed it onto the skirt. I should really stitch along the border to make sure it doesn't lift when it gets washed.
Here's a picture of how it looks from different angles (the shine doesn't show in the pictures, but I'd imagine it's enough to make Julia Pequlia happy).



1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info on creating the applique. Maybe I can manage to make one in a month's time...
Gina | Homepage | 07.14.07 - 10:36 am | #

Yes, that's enough shine to satisfy me!
Julia Pequlia | Homepage | 07.16.07 - 7:07 pm | #

7:00 PM, August 22, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home





swing by the archives to see more petulishness
(the link is in the sidebar on the right)